Sunday, February 3, 2013

Keagan's First...

Super Bowl party!

While we did not take Keagan out of town or anywhere new this weekend, we did something little, but still memorable and special. Roy and I are big time family people. We love getting together and just hanging out with the ones we love most, so when we were invited over to Gramma and Papaw's for a Super Bowl party today we gladly accepted.

As I have mentioned before, Keagan is such a lucky boy. His entire family loves him so much, and just the same as if he did not have anencephaly. Even though I was a little sad at times, we had a great time and were glad that everyone, including Keagan, got to spend this quality time together.

I always try to go over early to help mom prepare meals. It worked out today, because we went to church and then I just stayed at their house. Keagan didn't have much choice here...he got roped into being in the kitchen all afternoon with us :) Because I always help with the food, I have several times pictured bringing my baby over with me and having him in the kitchen with us while we cook. I could not wait for this, as trivial as it may seem. I enjoy cooking with my mom so much and I was looking forward to creating these memories with my child. While Keagan will not be able to physically be with us for these memories outside the womb, I know he will always be with us in spirit. 

 
We had mexican food and everyone was hoping that the spiciness would get Keagan moving. Well...it had no effect on him. Papaw and Aunt Jessica will have to wait to feel him moving. I wish they were here with me now, because he's giving me quite a few "love taps!"





 
Baby Keagan with his cousins, Carson and Drake. The three boys are about a year apart (Drake - 2, Carson - 8 months, Keagan - 22 weeks). I have found that being around newborns and infants since finding out about Keagan's diagnosis is difficult for me, but my love for my nephews and knowing Keagan is getting to spend time with them completely wipe out any sadness when I am around them. It is however hard realizing they won't get to grow up together and cause all kinds of boy havoc at family get togethers. Knowing my sister and her husband, they will make sure the boys know about Keagan when they are old enough to understand and they will continue to help make memories of the three of them while we can. (The last picture is really just a cute picture of Carson and Drake - notice the hair pull! Now, that's love!!!)


Before they had to leave, Carson obvioulsy had to check my pulse to make sure I was okay and have a heart-to-heart with me to show that he loves his Aunt Jenny and cousin Keagan. I love this little guy so much, and know Aunt Jessica loves Keagan just as much!
 
Oops. Keagan and I were able to enjoy the first quarter and woke up in time for the half time show. Just a little cat-nap never hurt anyone, right!?

Word of the night: Love. I realize how many times I used the word, but that is the common theme of our journey, Keagan's life and our family in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment